Woods Square Office

Business 1 (B1) and Business 2 (B2) are the two main types of zoning for industrial properties (B2). B1 sites are usually for light, clean industries, while B2 sites could be used for heavy industries that have a bigger effect on the environment.

Under the 60-40 rule, URA allows up to 40% of gross space in industrial development that can be used for non-essential purposes. Before 1999, the limit was 25%. Some kinds of media and online business can be allowed on a case-by-case basis. Industrial space can’t be rented to people who only need an office or shop, like tour or maid agencies, advertising agencies, accounting firms, and law firms.

Predominant Industrial Usage (60 percent )

We all know that industrial properties are built and improved for industrial users, so at least 60 percent of the space should be set aside for core industrial use. Some examples of these activities are making things, doing e-business, making software, and doing core media activities.


Ancillary Usage (40 percent )

The ancillary component, which includes things like office use and other allowable ancillary components, will be limited to no more than 40 percent. This means that the part that isn’t essential might be less than 40 percent.


Change of Use

If your company wants to ask for permission to use the property in a different way, it can be sent for review. You can fill out the application online. Some examples of a change of use would be a change to a day care, a showroom, or a religious use that is not exclusive.

There will be a processing fee, and depending on the type of change of use, there may also be development fees. But keep in mind that the authorities will have to review the change of use and that it is not a sure thing. Aside from the processing fee, the change of use application will also need to include required documents and information.